Even if you live under a rock, chances are you’ve heard that the world is supposed to end tomorrow (or in some parts of the world, today). According to some alarmist interpretations of an ancient Mayan calendar. Of course, rational people realize this is extremely unlikely, for a variety of reasons, most notably the fact that modern Mayans (yes, they’re still around) and specialists in ancient Mayan studies both say that’s not even close to the meaning of that particular calendar. There’s other reasons too.
But the most compelling reason why the world isn’t going to end tomorrow is that I haven’t read all of the books on my “To Be Read” list! Clearly, there is no way the world can end without my having read the following (in no particular order):
- Anything by Isabelle Allende
- The Bookseller by Mark Pryor (sitting on my shelf waiting for me to finish my current read)
- Redshirts by John Scalzi
- The Endersley Papers by S. A. Meade (sitting on my e-reader waiting to be read)
- Clandestine Classics: Dracula by Bram Stoker and Scarlett Parrish
- The Huntress by Malinda Lo
- Winterfair Gifts and Captain Vorpatril’s Alliance by Lois McMaster Bujold
- Heartless, Timeless, and Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger
- The Highwayman’s Footsteps by Nicola Morgan
- The Unnaturalists by Tiffany Trent
- Anything by Christian Jacq
- Flight Patterns by Barbara Kingsolver
- Too many Terry Pratchett books to name
- The Wiseman’s Fear by Patrick Rothfuss
- Making Waves by Tawna Fenske
That just represents my fiction reading list, and only the ones I know of so far! I’m always running across new books that I think look interesting, but either can’t afford or don’t have access to immediately! Plus, of course, my favorite authors (the still living ones, anyway) are always putting out new books that I naturally want to read. So you can see how this whole reading list thing never really ends. Which naturally means the world can’t ever really end.
Besides, I haven’t finished my novel or the current short stories.
Just in case, I think I’ll try to finish a story tonight, though. 😉