I was pondering last night on my all-time favorite fictional characters, and I realized they were all female. I’ve talked about my favorites before, with the focus on novel-characters. But, my actual list of top 5 includes two from other mediums, one a comic-book character and the other an anime character (though technically she was first a novel and manga character, but I’m less familiar with her in those settings).
- Agatha Heterodyne of Girl Genius by Phil & Kaja Foglio
- Amelia Peabody Emerson from the Mystery series by Elizabeth Peters
- Yomiko Readman from Read or Die by Hideyuki Kurata
- Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan from the Vokosiverse by Lois McMaster Bujold
- Granny Weatherwax from Discworld by Terry Pratchett
Among those 5, there is no hierarchy, I love them all fairly equally. They have some similarities too. Several of them are older, all are from serial-fiction of some sort with multiple stories focused around them (or at least featuring them). All are powerful women in their own way, mostly unafraid to take on the world and give it what-for. Most are given humorous voices, or set in funny-yet-profound stories.
But there’s really only one thing they all have in common without variation: All five are women. And all five are, in their own unique ways, very female. They’re the women I aspire to be. Clever, talented, beautiful, funny, wise, powerful, calm, composed, creative, and eccentric.